Driversity Services Overview
5 Steps to Obtaining Your Driver License
HAVE YOU TAKEN DRIVER EDUCATION?
Anyone under the age of 18 must take a Driver Education course to obtain their permit. If you are under 18 and have not taken Driver Education, this is where you start. As long as you are at least 15 1/2 years of age AND have completed a Driver Education course, you can start the licensing process.
If you have completed a Driver Education course, Proceed to step 2.
HAVE YOU OBTAINED YOUR PERMIT?
If you have taken Driver Education, your next step is to apply for your license at DMV. You will need a few things to apply.
1. Driver License Application – DMV form DL44. This form must be signed by your parents/guardians.
2. Verification of Birthdate – Most common is a birth certificate. There are many forms of birthdate verification.
3. Social Security Number (SSN) – must be provided on your application.
4. Certificate of completion for a California approved Driver Education course.
5. Proof of residency – this will be proof of residency for the parents/guardians signing for a provisional license.
6. Money… Of course we can’t forget that. The license fees change periodically. Current fees are listed at this link.
Once you apply you will be given a written test. The test is 46 multiple choice questions and you can miss 8 or less. When you pass your test you will be issued an instruction permit.
If you have your instruction permit, Proceed to step 3
YOU HAVE STARTED YOUR DRIVING LESSONS?
There are a few restrictions to your permit.
1. Your permit is not valid until you have had your first Behind-The-Wheel lesson with a driving school. The school will validate the permit.
2. You must have your permit for a minimum of 6 months from the issue date.
3. You may only practice with someone 25 years of age or older with a valid California driver license. They must be sitting next to you in a position to help control the vehicle if required.
4. You must complete 50hrs of supervised driving with a parent/guardian. You must also complete a minimum 6 hours of Behind-The-Wheel training with a driving school. The school will issue a certificate when the 6 hrs of driving lessons are completed.
Driversity offers Behind-The-Wheel driving lessons 7 days a week.
If you have your permit and have taken the 6hrs of driving lessons, Proceed to step 4.
MEET THE LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Anyone under the age of 18 may get their license when they have met these requirements.
1. At least 16 years old
2. Has a valid permit and has had the instruction permit for a minimum of 6 months
3. Completed Driver Education and Driver Training lessons with a driving school
4. Practiced 50hrs with a parent/guardian. 10hrs is required to be at night
If you meet all these requirements then you can take the driving test at DMV to obtain your provisional license.
You MUST have an appointment to take the driving test at DMV.
If you meet the requirements and have an appointment at DMV, Proceed to step 5
YOUR ROAD TEST AT DMV
You must have an appointment to take the behind-the-wheel driving test. For the driving test, bring:
1. Your instruction permit.
2. A licensed driver age 25 years old or older with a valid California DL.
3. Your completion certificates issued by the driving school.
4. Proof that the vehicle is currently registered and properly insured.
5. A vehicle that is safe to drive. The vehicle’s brake lights, horn, parking brake, and turn signals must work properly. The vehicle cannot have bald tires, which would have less than 1/32 inch tread depth in any 2 adjacent grooves. The driver’s side window must roll down. The windshield must allow a full unobstructed field of vision for you and the examiner. There must be at least 2 rearview mirrors (one must be on the left outside of the vehicle).
Driversity does offer 1hr DMV test prep lessons to help get you ready for your test. We do not let students use our vehicles for the test.
Take Advantage of Our Experience!
Need Help Choosing?
The most confusing process can be the “Provisional” licensing process. Anyone under the age of 18 has additional education requirements to obtain a permit or license.
Click on the “LEARN MORE” buttons above to help determine what course you need and what Driversity can offer you.
If you still have questions, call or send a message here.